Monday, October 15, 2007

Free IQ Tests Experiment

I've always had a kind of mild obsession with being seen as intelligent and outsmarting people, which I think most of us have to some degree, even if we don't admit it. So I tried out a little experiment. I looked back on my list of free IQ tests and picked a few of the better ones. I took an hour or two out of my day and did each of the 3 free IQ tests I had picked, making sure not to cheat and to try and get a really accurate gauge of my IQ. One of my results was 107 (although slightly above average, I wasn't too happy), another was 121 (not bad) and the last of the free IQ tests rated me at 118 (again, not too bad). While I knew that I was likely to get 3 completely different results, I didn't have any idea what they would be. I can't say I was happy or sad, I just took it at face value and wrote my results down with the average (which was 115).

Anyway, fast forward a week and I decided to spend some of my hard earned dollars and buy the ominous sounding IQ Brain Power Boost (which I now recommend from my site). I wont try to sell it, but it was a pretty good read. I didn't expect much because the sales page was horrible, but I just wanted to put my money where my mouth was and actually try out a product to see if it would have any benefit. The other 4 books included turned out to be useful to me too.

Anyway, fast forward another 3 weeks (I meant to do it sooner but such is life) and I visited 3 completely different free IQ tests. I chose 3 different ones because I knew from experience that I'd score higher if I went back and took the original 3 (because taking the same IQ test twice always yields a higher score the second time round). However, I made sure they were similar to the ones I had tried previously and made sure they took roughly the same amount of time, and had the same amount of questions. Can you guess what happens? Of course you can, it worked! I doubted it from the start to be perfectly honest, so I was genuinely surprised when the first IQ test came back 130, even more shocked when the second came back 134 and almost as happy when the third came in at 121 (again). That's an average of 128, 13 whole points more than my previous average.

Now while I accept that free IQ tests are not 100% reliable (I'm the first to admit it), I genuinely feel that reading and following the book, and trying out different methods to try and boost my brain power actually worked and as a direct result of my effort I gained those extra IQ points. If and when I have time I'll verify this with a real life IQ test but in the mean time I recommend getting a hold of some good material and trying the examples provided.

1 comment:

ArtlessMonster said...

This is good stuff. I have no doubt that you can increase your IQ but I've always been a skeptic about how easy some people claim it to be. I was addicted to BrainAge for awhile but it didn't have a noticeable benefit to my IQ. If I wind up buying that book I'll get it with your referral, but I'm pretty damn broke right now.